Whether you are pitching a new idea, persuading others to take action, building a strategy, or making a decision, data is key. But the amount of information available today is staggering, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by too many statistics, distracted by the wrong set of numbers, and confused by the complexity of data.
This two-day program combines the science of data visualization with the art of graphic design to help you communicate complex information more accurately and effectively. By transforming data sets into visual graphics—such as charts, bar graphs, scatterplots, and heatmaps—you will learn to present complex data in ways your audience can better understand. Through hands-on exercises, you will explore the many types of data in use today, learn how people perceive different graphical displays, and create visual presentations that make a stronger impact on your audience.
Note: All program content will be delivered live and will not be recorded. This online offering will not cover creating interactive visualizations using Tableau and using the visualization design sprint process.
- Critically evaluate visualizations and suggest improvements and refinements
- Avoid creating misleading visual representations of data—and being misled by others
- Apply a structured design process to create effective visualizations
- Conceptualize ideas using sketching and prototyping
- Use principles of human perception and cognition in visualization design
- Communicate more precisely by pinpointing the most relevant information
- Learn how to tell data stories with visualizations
- Earn a digital Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
Who Should Enroll
- Creating interactive visualizations using Tableau
- Conceptualizing ideas and interaction techniques using sketching
- Using the visualization design sprint process
- Evaluating strengths and weaknesses of visualization approaches for improvements
- Applying principles of effective visualizations to connect with your audience
This program is ideal for professionals or managers in a wide range of disciplines with an interest in the visual presentation of data. No programming experience or specific software experience is necessary.